Monday, September 20, 2010

Object of the Day: A Victorian Papier Mache Occasional Table

In case it hasn’t been evident over the last ten weeks, I have a particular fondness for Victorian papier mache objects. I think it’s the combination of durability and fragility inherent to the medium which makes me feel so warmly toward it. I’m also quite fond of the coloring and decoration of these objects—so typically Victorian.


One of my favorite little objects is this dear little papier mache table. The top is an ebonized papier mache tray, inlaid with mother of pearl within a hand-painted crest of roses and wildflowers. The whole of the top is painted with a decorative gold border. The base of the table is a gently-turned pedestal supported by three fluted and gilt curved legs.

In much the fashion of the papier mache tilt-top tea tables, small tables such as this were used in drawing rooms and parlors and offered a convenient place to rest of cup of tea and a nice dish of little sandwiches. Come to think of it, perhaps it’s my deep love of tea and little sandwiches that guides me toward these objects. Nevertheless, no cup and saucer will touch this table now. After over a century of existence, it’s earned the right to just stand there and look pretty.

No comments: