Monday, August 23, 2010

Treat of the Week: Marble Pound Cake

Just as glass rods are sliced to create beautiful millefiori, this stunning marble pound cake is sliced to reveal an equal gorgeousness. This week’s glimpse at some of my mother’s masterful handiwork, is a luxurious sour cream pound cake—marbleized with luscious chocolate. Dense, yet moist, this cake has “a good crumb” as they say in the baking world.


The top of the cake has been dusted with confectioners’ sugar which, by the next day, softens the delicate top crust to a creamy, sweet layer. My mother has been making this cake for as long as I can remember. It’s a family favorite. Whether you have a piece for breakfast or with a cup of tea later in the day, one bite will remind you that life can be beautiful. Add some whipped cream to make it utterly decadent.

And, as an editorial note, while doggies are not to have chocolate (for their own good), they do enjoy licking the beaters after the cream is whipped.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Looking at your mother's scrumptious marble pound cake is making me SO hungry at the moment! ;)

Fran said...

Oh my God! Are you kidding me? I would need to go to Poundcake Anonymous after one bite. You could tell if I fell often the wagon from the powdered sugar on my nose. ; ) Luv this!

Joseph Crisalli said...

If only I could have shared it with you both. However, Fran, I'd hate to put you in the path of temptation. : )