Saturday, August 28, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 30

Robert laid out a suit of clothes for Julian and Mr. Punch. He selected a camel-colored jacket, purple waistcoat and gold cravat.


“Oh, aren’t we going to look like a right proper gentleman?” Punch laughed. “Only I like red. Red’s the color what I like to wear.”

“Very well.” Robert sighed, replacing the gold cravat with one of deep crimson.

“The collars are in that black box.” Punch grinned.

“Yes, I gathered that they would be.” Robert nodded.

“And, don’t forget the stickpin.” Punch rose and stood next to Robert, peering over his shoulder. “The jewel case is in the wardrobe—right there.”

Robert found the case and opened it, revealing a glittering array of pins, watch fobs and rings.

“Say, I like the ruby one with them little diamonds.” Punch pointed to a particular stickpin. “The one what’s got the lady’s face on it.”

Robert removed the stickpin from the case.

“Then, that’s the one you shall wear.” Robert replied as cheerfully as he could.

“So, what are we gonna do, Doctor?” Punch asked, removing Julian’s bloodied collar and shirt. As he did, Robert noticed something peculiar.

“Where did you get those bruises?” Robert asked, pointing to Julian’s torso.

“Huh?” Punch asked, looking in the mirror at Julian’s chest. “Dunno. ‘Spect I got ‘em when I fought those rough blokes at the Guignol show.”

“No, those are older bruises. They’re not recent.” Robert shook his head.

“Dunno,” Punch shrugged, reaching for the fresh shirt.

“Don’t you want to freshen up, first?” Robert asked, pointing to the basin.

“Not ‘specially.” Punch frowned.

“Human men tend to wash themselves from time to time.”

“Ain’t human.” Punch laughed.

“No, but Julian is. I think he’d appreciate it if you cleaned himself up a tad.” Robert smiled.

“Fine,” Punch grumbled, going to the basin and dampening a flannel. “Sorry lot of work these bodies are, always getting wet and smelly. Now, I don’t have these problems what with me body being made of cloth.”

“I imagine that you don’t.” Robert chuckled. “Would you like my help?

“No!” Punch spat. “I think I can wash meself.”

“Very well,” Robert nodded. “Now, Mr. Punch are you certain that you can play this game with me?”

“Sure, I can. I can do anything.” Punch said, sloshing the water in the basin so that it splattered onto the floor.

“You’re sure that you can pretend to be Julian?” Robert asked.

“Nothin’ to it.” Punch said confidently. “I only got to look nervous, fiddle with me ring and be pale.”

“There’s more to Lord Julian than that.” Robert reminded the puppet. “You know, he speaks a bit differently than you do.”

“Of course, my good man.” Punch responded in Julian’s voice. “I certainly think I can make a good show of portraying my master. After all, I have been at it for quite some time.”

“That was very nicely done.” Robert smiled. “Do you often impersonate His Lordship?”

“When I have to.” Punch answered in his own voice.

“Have you ever done it with me?” Robert asked.

“No,” Punch grumbled. “Always got the feelin’ you’d know the difference.”

“Indeed I would.” Robert agreed.

“Don’t think this Nanny will. She’s not seen Julian in years. She don’t know.”

“No. She won’t know. Besides, I’ll do most of the talking.” Robert helped Punch with his shirt and collar.

“I can dress me-self!” Punch growled.

“I know. I’m simply trying to be useful.” Robert smiled, buttoning the collar.

“If you’re gonna be useful, help me with that scarf thing.” Punch squinted.

“So, you remember what we’re going to do?” Robert asked, wrapping the cravat around Julian’s throat.

“Yeah.” Punch smiled. “We’re gonna talk to the sow of a nanny, then, we’re gonna hit her with a stick and toss her in the sea.” He added slyly.

“No.” Robert shook his head. “The former is correct, the latter is not. The part about the hitting and the tossing.”

“I’m just making my fun with you, Doctor.” Punch sighed.

“I can never be sure with you.” Robert responded pleasantly.

“No, you can’t.” Punch laughed.

Once the man was finally dressed, Robert studied Julian’s body.

“So, how do I look?” Punch asked.

“You look quite handsome. Just like Lord Julian.”

“Lucky bloke don’t got a hunchback.” Punch responded, looking at himself in the glass.

“And, you’ll remember what we’re going to say?” Robert asked.

“I’m no idiot!” Punch replied sharply. “I can play the game. Remember, I beat…”

“The Devil, I know.” Robert nodded.

“Cheeky.” Punch grumbled.

“Let’s go, then, shall we?” Robert asked, heading toward the cabin door. “The note that I had the porter bring Nanny Rittenhouse said we’d meet her in her cabin at half past ten. We don’t want to be late.”

“Course not.” Punch said, watching the Doctor open the door. When Robert’s back was turned, Punch grabbed the paper knife from the desk and tucked it into Julian’s jacket.

“You’re prepared, then?” Robert asked as Punch followed him out.

“Most certainly prepared, Mr. Halifax.” Punch answered in Julian’s voice, his eyes glinting with wild glee.



Did you miss Chapters 1-29? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, August 30, for the next chapter of Punch’s Cousin.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Punch is really quite clever if unsympathetic to Julian. He DOES, however, acknowledge that Julian is his master. Whether he actually accepts that or intends to rebel completely will be interesting to see.

Halifax does seem to be genuinely concerned and loyal to Julian. What tie is there that makes him agreeable to be of such help?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Dashwood, Robert has his reasons for being loyal. What they are remains to be seen. As for Mr. Punch, I think he's actually sympathetic to Julian in the only way he knows how to be. However, the struggle to see who really is "master" will prove to be explosive. Thanks for reading!

Darcy said...

I hope Mr. Punch's "wild glee" and the fact that he's taken a paper knife with him doesn't cause more trouble for Lord Julian. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to find out.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I just picture Punch from that engaving, hanging the Devil. Perhaps he will demonstrate more self-control this time.