Monday, August 23, 2010

Object of the Day: Paperweight by Daniel Salazar

Some little boys collect bits of string and toads. Some ask for action figures for Christmas. I wanted paperweights. When I was a lad, we would go to Gumps and I would marvel at the locked cabinet of crystal which glittered under halogen light. I was enthralled. I started my paperweight collection when I was thirteen. This was one of the first. And, it remains one of my favorites.


Signed by Daniel Salazar for Lundberg Studios, 1988, this remarkable paperweight is a hand-crafted work of the art glass of the highest caliber. Forever caught in a bubble of crystal, an amethyst-colored fish with flowing rose-colored fins is suspended over a glittering ocean floor with millefiori sea creatures and delicate coral branches. You can look at this paperweight for hours and get lost in its depth and detail.

Lundberg Studios in California still produces the finest crystal and art glass. Their meticulous work and beautiful craftsmanship remind us of the quality and love of Belle Époque artistry. Lundberg glass is an excellent addition to any collection.

No comments: